[Rhodes22-list] Preparing for Isaias

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Wed Aug 5 14:26:55 EDT 2020

Based on yesterday's experience when Isaias blew through, I would add one
more item to the checklist: make sure the anchor is lashed to the bow rail.

We had some good-sized waves when the windspeed got up into the 50s. All the
rocking and rolling caused the anchor to jump out of its latched cradle. It
then swung around for a few hours before it was safe enough to board the
boat. The swinging anchor dangling from the bow had pulled a bolt out of the
bow. This bolt holds a pinned fitting for the anchor and is one of three
bolts that hold the chainplate for the jib. It is going to be tough to reach
the spot where the bolt comes through the bow to put a washer and nut on the
inside.

As a side note, on my boat all three of these chainplate bolts fully
penetrate the hull. None has a nut on the inside. They rely on the
fiberglass to hold them in place ... which is probably OK since the forces
are shear. But the anchor swinging in the waves pulled the bolt through the
hole.

And on a related topic I discovered a few years ago that none of the bolts
that hold the ends of the aft railings have nuts on the inside. All six
bolts (three on each side) penetrate the hull but are only threaded into the
fiberglass. I added washers and nuts to each of them after a few pulled out.

-----
Long Beach Island