[Rhodes22-list] Tiller auto pilot (Mike Riter)

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Aug 11 08:47:49 EDT 2020

Mike,

We’ve had a RayMarine ST1000+ Tiller Pilot on S/V Dynamic Equilibrium since 2000.  It’s been totally reliable in ~20 years of service.  On any point of sail forward of a broad reach, it steers the boat as well as a competent human helmsman.  But, on a run or a broad reach, particularly if there are waves from the stern quarter, the Tiller Pilot struggles to hold its course.  The Tiller Pilot isn’t “smart enough” to be able to steer when you are flying a spinnaker.  In these conditions, a human helmsman has to anticipate the effect of wind shifts and the waves in order to hold course and the Tiller Pilot has no way to do that.  But, I think this is more a function of the small size of the boat and not the fault of the Tiller Pilot.  As a control engineer, I have tried tuning the factory controller settings to make it perform better when the wind is from astern.  I think I may have been able to make it marginally better; but, the factory tuning is pretty good.  So, as long as you don’t expect to be able to run for hours flying your triradial spinnaker under autopilot, it’s a pretty good investment.  It’s great for short handed sailing.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium