[Rhodes22-list] maisail problem revisited

gramille gramille at tds.net
Sat Aug 15 21:38:51 EDT 2020

So I promised an update:
I managed to get the tear in my mainsail repaired by a fellow sailor at my
Marina on Lake Champlain. He went up in a Bosuns Chair and did a lovely job
so no need to take the IMF apart at this point. However I chatted with him
today while sailing in flukey winds. He told me that the sail fabric is
probably compromised because it tore as he stitched it. This reminded me of
Peter's comment that if I could tear the sail while pulling it out of the
mast, there was something wrong with my sail.

Certainly I have tried, with limited success, just about every technique and
suggestion generously offered up by the R22 scribes.

It seems much less likely to bunch up when I furl in the lower position,
however it just feels as if I have a baggy sail. I see a new one in my
future, so all those helpful installation tips are much appreciated.
I will let you know when I bite the bullet, install a new main and,
hopefully, can sail again with the boom in the upper position!

Graham
s.v. 00Sailin