[Rhodes22-list] Bilge

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Aug 18 11:40:46 EDT 2020

Regarding the use of silicone for ports.

Beckson, one of the largest manufacturer specifies that silicone SHOULD be used :

Their installation instructions are found here: https://www.beckson.com/installport.html

"Choice of Sealant:

There are many brands of caulk, adhesive and sealant available in your marine chandlery or hardware store, but be wary, not all are like. Many are for specific applications and may contain solvents that are destructive to thermoplastics. Chemical solvents should not be used for clean up.

Beckson recommends 100% silicone sealant only.

Beckson recommends 100% silicone sealant only. Availability of silicone varies regionally. Please contact your sealant manufacturer for the most up to date information with regard to materials and compatibility. Silicone has been around for nearly 50 years without sign of failure. Most other caulks and sealants fail after 10 years. When a port is installed properly, silicone works best for years of enjoyment.

Sanding previously caulked areas:

Previously caulked or sealed areas must be sanded in order to remove the old caulk. If not removed, a strong bond will not occur. Surfaces may appear to be free of caulk to the eye, but residue may still be present on the gel coat. Sand lightly with 220 grit paper to prepare for the silicone sealant."

Check with the port manufacturer before deciding. Butyl is probably a safe choice but while it is an excellent sealant it is very weak as an adhesive. On a slightly curves surface that adhesive quality might be important.

Graham Stewart
gstewart8 at cogeco.ca