[Rhodes22-list] Trailer question

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Wed Aug 26 16:19:29 EDT 2020

When I retrieved my boat at the ramp at Snow Marine Park in Rockland, it was dead low tide.  The tidal range in this area is 10 feet or better.  The top of the ramp is pretty steep, but the bottom levels out quite a bit.  When I was down the ramp far enough that the tailpipe of my Toyota Tacoma was blowing bubbles, the front end of the bunks were still about 4” above the surface of the water.  I motored onto the trailer as fast as I dared, but came to a stop about 30” short of where I needed the boat to be on the trailer.  I tried to back the boat off the trailer for another run, but found I was stuck.  My only option was to try to winch the boat forward on the trailer.  I had no idea if this would actually work, but it did.  Actually, since the trailer was close to level, the boat ended up farther forward on the trailer than I think it’s ever been before.

Two lessons from this experience:

1) slippery bunks can be a very good thing.

2) launching at this ramp at low tide would not be possible.

—Peter