[Rhodes22-list] Saildrive

CPBoyce cp.boyce at comcast.net
Sat Aug 29 23:23:18 EDT 2020

More on Take Five...the Torqeedo motor is the Cruise 4.0 pod system, powered
by two lithium ion batteries, for a propulsive equivalent to gasoline of
8hp. Stan mounted the two batteries in series under the starboard cockpit
seat. This cuts down on storage, but better I think than having to store
cans of gasoline. Also the weight of the two batteries (about 120 pounds)
causes the boat to list to starboard unless you counterbalance it on the
port side. I used four 25 pound barbell weights for that, since they are
compact space wise. We keep her in the watet at Swantown Marina in Olympia.
The well in the lazarette did not have anti fouling paint at first and a
year later it was clogged with critters. Almost could not lower the pod. But
after having that painted just need to remember to lift the pod out of the
water after use, which also saves on anode wear. Range fully charged is
about 25 miles at 3 knots unless fighting the tide. We also have a smaller
Torqeedo Travel 1003 with extra batteries that, though a bit underpowered
for this boat, can still move her another 20 miles using all the batteries
if necessary. In Puget Sound we're never more than 8 or 10 miles from a
marina with dock power. Will post photos of the motor if you want.
Patrick Boyce

-----
The Boyces
s/v Take Five (aka the Electric Rhodes)