[Rhodes22-list] Installing a bulkhead compass

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Mon Dec 21 20:49:08 EST 2020

I installed a Compass 101 in the port bulkhead of my boat without difficulty using the same procedure that Rick used. It was not difficult and the depth and space between the inner and outer skins were just right for the compass. I did the same on the opposite side for the knot log. I would not be reluctant to do this again. The only thing I would do differently would be to put the compass on the starboard side rather than the port side. I found that the space between the inner and outer skins on the starboard side was slightly smaller than the port side. This would not be a problem for the compass as the electrical wires are very thin but for the knot log the fittings on the ends of the cables were about 1/2 inch wide making it more difficult to feed them through. I think it would have been easier to fish the wires through on the port side - but that might be a peculiarity of my boat. It is possible that the inner and outer skins might vary slightly in their alignment between boats.

As I recall there is a horizontal piece of wood running just below the bend in the bulkhead on the port side and possibly on the starboard side as well. It does not go all the way across so it is probably necessary to fish the wire around the end of the wooden piece. The easiest way to fish the wire through the space is to tie something like a nail to a string and let it fall between the panels but outboard to the wooden piece that I mentioned. It will land on the lip on the liner where you can pull it down into the cockpit, tie the line to the electrical wire and then retrieve the line and wire back through the hole you cut for the compass.

If you are worried about what obstacles might be present between the skins you could drill a small hole in the inner skin at the center of where you want the compass located and then insert a rigid wire into the hole with a 90 degree bend at about 3 inches. You can then rotate the wire and if the path is clear, as it should be, then the wire will rotate 360 degrees and you will know that that area is free of obstructions.. If there are obstructions and you change your mind about installing the compass in the bulkhead you only have a small hole in the liner to patch or hide.

Good luck,

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario