[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Sailer Sails Trailer

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Feb 22 06:44:53 EST 2020

I’m sorry, I didn’t see the part about Lake Huron.  That would be less damaging than salt water.  But, many of those trailer components were never designed for extended deep submersion, even in fresh water, and would still be damaged.  You will force water back up into the wiring, bearings, brakes, and into the hydraulic system.  This water will be difficult to get out and will cause damage that might not be evident for months.  At the very least, you would be looking at cleaning and repacking your wheel bearings, cleaning your brakes, flushing out the hydraulic system, and cleaning and greasing the tongue jack.

You will have much less freeboard than usual.   I would have some sort of battery powered pump to rapidly pump the cockpit out if you get swamped by a boat wake or something.  I would plug the sink drain.  I would close all the cabin hatches and companionway door.  I would remove as much gear as you can to lighten the load as much as possible.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium