[Rhodes22-list] dinghy selection

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Feb 22 11:41:10 EST 2020

Hi Jesse,
For years we used a pool toy dinghy a Sevylor Super Caravelle 3 person
(it barely fit 2). It worked satisfactorily but we nicknamed it Comic
Relief because that's what rowing it felt like - but it did get us to
shore and back. For the price we figured we could buy one a year and
come out ahead. It got light use (two or three times a season) but we
only ever bought one and used it for at least 10 years. It had the
advantage of inflating quickly and easily and stowing in a rubbermaid
container under the cockpit seats.
https://www.amazon.com/Sevylor-Super-Caravelle-3-Person-Boat/dp/B00J052G9Y/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sevylor+super+caravelle&qid=1582388667&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

We now have Advanced Elements inflatable kayaks. We sometimes use them
on the boat (a pocket trawler) but mostly they are our everyday kayaks
and we take them with us in the travel trailer. They are slower than
hard kayaks but they are maneuverable and of course very bouyant. They
handle waves well but not wind. They are very lightweight and easy to
inflate. They are a bit trickier to get in and out of from a boat than a
regular dinghy. Ours are singles but they do make a tandem.
https://www.amazon.com/ADVANCED-ELEMENTS-AdvancedFrame-Convertible-Inflatable/dp/B000J2O5VE/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1582388510&refinements=p_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin%3A12653434011&rnid=12653432011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-7

We bought ours from West Marine and on sale they were quite reasonable.

Hope this is helpful.

Mary Lou
ex Rhodes 22
now Rosborough RF 246  Tara