[Rhodes22-list] installation of inline check valve for cockpit drain

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Thu Jan 9 10:55:26 EST 2020

Jesse:

First, I appreciate you documenting your work so carefully. Thanks for that.
I am wondering, however, why you have the problem in the first place. My
drain goes straight through as was the case in your "before" photo but I
have never had a problem with water coming up the drain. I don't understand
why that would happen so long as the cockpit drain is below the water level.
Might your boat be heavily weighted down at the stern such that forward
motion is sufficient to allow turbulence to overflow the scabbard? Might the
thru hull be generating excessive turbulence to push water up the tube?