[Rhodes22-list] Need some help fixing my stupidity

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Wed Jul 1 17:09:08 EDT 2020

Rob,

After launching my boat a few weeks ago, as I was getting ready to leave the ramp area with the empty trailer, I backed it into the side of someone else’s trailer and completely smashed one of my tail lights.  No other damage, fortunately, but it’s a humbling experience.

I can’t imaging what’s keeping the mount in place after the bolts have been removed.  There would be no reason to use an adhesive, or even a sealant between the mount and the transom.

In looking at the picture inside the lazarette, it looks like the starboard side of the motor mount is just bolted to the fiberglass without any kind of backing other than the washers.  My boat has a wood backing plate epoxied to the inside of the transom in that location, similar to the one for the rudder mounting hardware.  Since you’re going to be working in this area anyway, adding a backing plate is worth considering.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)