[Rhodes22-list] Getting the weight off the tires for winter storage

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Jul 11 16:08:35 EDT 2020

Hi Jesse,

Nice photo!  It reminds me of my favorite anchorage called the Church Camp Cove on Sanford Lake prior to the flood this spring.  I won’t be anchoring there anytime soon.

You can certainly use jack stands as per the recommendation of your automotive gearhead friends.  However, you might consider what I did.  The attached photo shows a screw-type jack welded onto the trailer frame.  There is one of these jacks port and starboard.  They each have a quick-release pin.  They swing up for trailering and come off for launch/retrieval, so you never immerse them.  Using these two jacks and the tongue jack, one can get the weight off the tires for the winter.  However, you can also use these jacks to change a tire by the side of the road.  You can also use them to level the boat on it’s trailer, so you can use the Rhodes’ cabin as a sort of travel trailer for overnight stays in campgrounds.  The Rhodes 22’s cabin is way more comfortable than a tent, there’s a full galley, potta-potti, and you’re way up high so the critters can’t get to you.  Some campgrounds don’t allow tent camping, so you simply register your Rhodes 22 Pop-Up Camper!  I find it comforting to wake up in the morning looking down on my fellow campers.  You will never have to carry an extra bottle jack again!  However, you might consider throwing a 2 ton come-along into your bag of trailering gear just in case you get stuck on a launch ramp again.  The come-along + a stout anchor rode will rescue you from many sticky situations.

One of Stan’s beliefs is that everything on the Rhodes 22 should do multiple duties.  I think that philosophy should extend to the trailer as well!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium[cid:image002.jpg at 01D6579D.86263060]