[Rhodes22-list] questions regarding anchoring system / process

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sat Jul 18 21:25:43 EDT 2020

Jesse,

On my boat there are three possible ways to run the foresail sheets (port and starboard).
Outside all shrouds using the aft track and car
Between the upper and lower shrouds using the more forward track and car
Inside all shrouds using the cabin top fairlead and cam cleat

I thought this arrangement was universal on Rhodes 22’s, but perhaps not.

I use the aft track at least 95% of the time.  I’ve never used the cabin top fairlead and cleat for the jib sheet.

Being able to tie off the anchor rode right next to the cabin puts the rode exactly where I want it to be.  It just worked out that way. I suppose using the aft cleats instead would work too, I’m just not sure exactly how the rode would run.

When anchored for the night, the ‘painter’ is taking the load, but the rode is tied off to a bow cleat as a back-up.  I added two additional bow cleats, so there’s plenty to choose from. Since the rode is slack, the location of the cleat is not critical.

I made my anchor rode ’toggle’ from three pieces of 3/4” material glued together because I have lots of 3/4” oak in my workshop.

In order to use the West Marine bag for storage, I think you would have to find a way to suspend it under the combing.  I thought about that briefly, but decided that the approach I took was easier.

Best of Luck

—Peter