[Rhodes22-list] Fwd: How to: A Trouble-free Furling Main | Sail Magazine

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 07:20:12 EDT 2020

Chris, one thing that I've noticed about IMF on larger boats is that the
foot does not appear to be horizontal.  Instead it appears to be cut a bit
like jib in that the clue is higher than the tack.  I assume that might be
so that the foot doesn't bunch up on top of itself as it furls so it
doesn't take up too much room in the mast.  As a result of this it appears
that the boom is always at an angle for the IMF on larger boats.  On your
Catalina, do you furl it by hand, does it require a winch or is there an
electric winch?  Overall, do you like the IMF on the larger boat as well?

One other note, does the IMF on the R22 require any maintenance such as
lubrication?