[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Under Seat Storage Idea

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 20:20:05 EDT 2020

I saw in the archives where someone put a retaining bar across under the
seats going into a hole in a HDPE block at one end and dropping into a slot
in a HDPE block at the other end. This looks like it requires the bar to be
lifted out of the slot and removed to access under the seats.

I played around with an idea which seems to work really well. I made a
slotted track which attaches to the fore and aft bulkheads under each seat.
To access under the seat, I simply lift the bar up into a notch at the top
of each track getting it totally out of the way for access. Then release the
bar from the notches and it slides down the track to act as a retaining bar.

I used a 1” thick 12x12 piece of HDPE cut into 4 strips 2 7/8” wide. The
height from the cockpit floor to the seat bottom is more on the aft
bulkhead, so that track is longer so when the bar is lowered it is an even 4
1/2” above the floor front to back. The forward bulkhead has a slope which
required a spacer block to keep the same distance top to bottom between the
tracks. I originally screwed the tracks vertically, but decided to angle
them about 20 degrees to allow a little more storage space.

Everything was done with a 1” wood bit and ripping the slots with a table
saw. I used a 7/8” aluminum tube for the bar.

The tracks did require a 1/4” HDPE backing plate since there is a gap at the
top of the bulkheads.

George Morgan
SV “Knotty Lady” 1986

The first images show the tracks before installation.
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/40A4DF44-408B-48BE-9078-D584C5E77BB9.jpeg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/97CC11B6-4797-44A2-9CA2-AE4F622AC40B.jpeg>

This image is a forward track mounted with the required spacer block. The
tracks later got angled.
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/C23EC821-449B-4FF5-936C-2EEDEE82AA7C.jpeg>

These two images are with the bar raised and resting in the notches.
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/E3BC1E3F-2E5C-49E4-8BCE-FC5684DF7ADF.jpeg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/D4D6AE0E-45FB-49A0-B03C-DFF6BB6DB503.jpeg>

These two images are with the bar lowered.
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/CB7E944F-7F92-4930-BF8E-E18416537242.jpeg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/B39572B1-2851-453E-BB2C-D55F0054AAEF.jpeg>