[Rhodes22-list] Unknown Genoa Winch

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sun Jul 26 07:28:49 EDT 2020

Brian,

S/V Dynamic Equilibrium (1976 Model) had the same type winches when I purchased the boat in 1987.  In heavy air, my wife and two sons, ages 4 & 1 at the time, couldn’t sheet in the genoa with those winches.  So, I replaced them with a pair of Anderson 12ST’s.  If you look on the archive page, there is a picture of one of these winches just after I installed it.  Not only do they look great and use a standard winch handle; but, they fit the winch pad like they grew there.  We love the self trimming!  They are thru-bolted into the coming compartment using big fender washers as backing plates.  It was an easy installation and they’ve not given a bit of trouble in all the years since.  The extra trimming power enabled my 2 sons to grow up sailing from an early age.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium