[Rhodes22-list] mainsail problems

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Wed Jul 29 23:21:04 EDT 2020

Graham,

I can't say if the difficulty that we had furling our old mainsail was like
the difficulty that you are experiencing. I can say that furling our old
mainsail was not always easy and that sometimes it did seem to get "bunched"
as you mentioned. The new mainsail furls very easily and never, ever
bunches. While my wife generally could not furl the old main except in very
light air, she has no trouble furling the new one in almost any wind
conditions in which we are bold enough to sail.

Our old sails were more than 10 years old and had been used in an area (Long
Beach Island) that regularly has high wind velocity. From the time we bought
the boat there was a lot of draft in the sail that we could not remove; from
what I read, this is a sign that the sail should be replaced. We also tore
the sail along the foot while it was reefed in about 15 kts of wind. That
made the decision easy for us.

We replaced both the genoa and the main since both were baggy. Our Rhodes
sails much better now than she used to. We point a little higher and don't
get overpowered as easily.

If you decide on new sails, I think General Boat's prices are a little
better than Doyle's prices.

Chris

-----
Long Beach Island