[Rhodes22-list] Problem with furler

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Jun 4 12:32:46 EDT 2020

Allyn,
If your furling line parts your forestay will not be effected.  But you won't be able to furl your head sail.  You can furl it by hand if you really need to, but that's difficult in a strong wind and it means you have to put your hands on the sail and wrap it up.  You can replace the furling line with headsail up, but it's a mental challenge.  You would untie the knot on the top of your furling drum and feed that line down and and remove it and replace the line.  The challenge there is to get the line running in the right direction around the drum (make note of how yours is now) before you remove it.  The line wraps up around the drum as the sail is unfurled and it took me a while to get my head around that.  You also need to get it so there are a few turns left on the drum when the sail is furled. If the separation is right near the end of the line (hard to tell from the photo), you might be able to grab that knot, pull up on it until the separation is outside the drum and re-knot it if your furling line is long enough. - rob