[Rhodes22-list] Electric Motor

David Keyes rhodes22dave at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 11:18:28 EDT 2020

From internet research, it appears to me that the best small electric outboard alternatives (i.e., the ones with portable, snap-in batteries that can be charged at home) are the Torqeedo Travel 1103 (3hp) and the ePropulsion Spirit Plus (3hp).  The Spirit Plus replaces the Spirit 1.0 and has a larger battery, but will not be available in the U.S. until the second half of August.  I might prefer the Spirit Plus, but I need a motor now to replace my Yamaha 9.9 (which has broken remote control cables adapted to the R22 tiller controls and that are no longer available).  So I probably will order an 1103 in the next day or two unless I read something on this board or from Stan or that I find from further internet research that leaves me looking for a Plan Two.

I will also buy the optional, portable solar panels that come with either motor.  They can charge the battery fully if given enough time, but in addition they can provide some supplemental charging during actual use, so that the range will be increased.  I will probably buy a second, snap-in battery to have on hand for occasionally needing more range in lieu of being towed or having a long swim home.

Both of these motors have optional, remote control throttles., and I will buy one.

Incidentally, the 1103 improves on the 1003 by using direct drive instead of the reduction gears that produced a high-pitched whining sound.  This improvement may have been to compete with the direct drive ePropulsion motors.

I plan initially to lock the new electric motor in the straight-forward position and rely on my rudder for steering.  I have to make a hard turn to port in close quarters in order to enter my boat slip.  If necessary, I will find a way to link the sailboat tiller’s cross-arm to the handle on the Torqeedo snap-in battery so as to link the motor and rudder in order to turn more sharply.

 I think that these small motors are a good choice for sailors who either (1) are looking for a smaller, quieter engine that does not use gas and is conveniently light and portable, or (2) would prefer a larger electric engine to deal with occasional adverse weather or tidal current conditions, but who do not have assured shore power at all times available for battery charging, and who do not have confidence in the ability of solar panels (portable or that could be added installations) to fully charge the electric motor battery or batteries between uses.

I fall into category (2).  Every five or ten years, my lake gets so low the the marina docks have to be floated way out into the lake, where there is no shore power, and this condition would be likely to remain for much of a summer or for two summers.  About five years ago, we had to be transported in a small tender out to the floating docks for two consecutive years, and for that period, there was no shore power available to the docks.

Because I would prefer more power, I also looked at gas engines in the range of 5hp to 8hp, but so far I have not found one with a remote throttle arrangement that would be convenient for the R22.  Instead, their remote throttles are the typical ones for water-ski boats or fishing boats.

David Keyes
S/V Arrowhead II (if it had a name plate or painted on the boat, but it doesn’t)
Lake Travis