[Rhodes22-list] Rudder-Engine Conflicts

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Wed Jun 10 13:15:47 EDT 2020

Allyn,

Mary Lou Troy is correct.  The rudder blade needs to be all the way down in order to clear the prop.  However, your boat might have another issue.  Your motor mount might be installed too far inboard.  Or, your rudder might have been installed off the transom centerline to port; but, that seems very unlikely.  Try this: Measure the distance from the rudder’s gudgeon centerline to the centerline of the outboard motor mount.  It’s pouring cat & dogs right now, so I can’t go make that measurement on S/V Dynamic Equilibrium.  But, when the rain lets up, I will go make that measurement and let you know what I find.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium