[Rhodes22-list] Sanford Lake Flooding Aftermath

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Thu Jun 11 14:04:42 EDT 2020

Hi Rob,

A guy named Frank Wixom grew up in the area around the turn of the 20th century and experienced the annual spring flooding from the Tittabawassee River.  Frank went out west and made his fortune in the oil business.  He came back to the area in 1905 determined to tame the mighty Tittabawassee.  He spent the next 20 years acquiring the land, permits, and making a deal with Consumer’s Power for the electricity.  They broke ground in 1925 on the 4 dams; Sanford, Wixom, Smallwood, and Secord.  The 4 dam system went on line in 1927 producing electricity and for flood control.  In the nearly 100 years since then, the population and industry along the ~35 mile stretch of river controlled by the dams has soared.  Given the current economic impact and population, it’s hard to believe they would let it go back to the way things were before the dams.  But, there is a growing movement to take down dams across the country in order to let the rivers “run wild”.  The 4 dams were relatively small hydroelectric dams.  Wixom dam had a nominal rating of only ~4.9 megawatts and Sanford dam was a little smaller at ~4.5 megawatts.  Smallwood dam and Secord dam produced even less power.  So, they were mostly for flood control.  This is a real hot mess that’s going to be tied up in the courts for years.  I expect Boyce Hydro will be sued out of existence.  The State of Michigan currently has an ~3 Billion $ tax shortfall due to the COVID-19 economic shutdown.  Hopefully, the Federal government will step in and let the US Army Corps of Engineers remediate the lakes and dams and operate the new system.  As much as I mistrust big government, the Feds are the only ones with sufficient resources to do the job properly.  Deb & I hope we live to see it.  If the class action law suits go as these things usually do, the lawyers will get rich and we will see pennies on the dollar reimbursement many years from now.

Sorry, don’t mean to sound bitter.  It’s been a tough month!

The 2 attached photos show what’s left of the Wixom dam and the Sanford dam.  There used to be a powerhouse adjacent to the flood gates in the Wixom dam similar to the red brick building on the Sanford dam; but, it’s been swept away.

[cid:image002.png at 01D63FE7.825CE690]
If they don’t rebuild the dams, there is actually an opportunity for white water rafting.  You would put-in at the western end of Wixom dam and paddle to the blown out section of the M-30 Causeway over Wixom Lake.  There is a class 3 rapids there now.  For the next ~2 ½ river miles, there are a series of class 2 – 4 rapids as you follow the old Tittabawassee River bed past the wrecked Wixom dam, under the wrecked M-30 bridge in Edenville, and up to the wrecked Curtis Road bridge.  South of the Curtis Road Bridge, the river bed widens out into what used to be Sanford Lake and the current slows to 2-3 mph.  So, you would probably take-out on the west side of the river just upstream of the Curtis Road bridge.  Needless to say, at the moment, this paddling trip would be extremely hazardous due to unstable river banks, wrecked dams & bridges, and debris in the water.  Getting sucked into the wrecked Wixom dam floodgates would be the start of a bad day on the water!  Also. It would be extremely difficult for rescue crews to get to you if something bad happened.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium