[Rhodes22-list] Replacing diamondboard pendant

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sat Jun 13 22:25:00 EDT 2020

Jesse:
I have the older centerboard so others might well have better advice.

What you suggest should work. I have never tried to do this type of work while the boat was in the water. I have always had the boat on the trailer and removed the centerboard cap - which is, admittedly, a pita. The advantage of doing it with the cap removed is that you get to inspect the centerboard for damage and check all of the blocks to make sure they are still working properly. Mine were not.

My line is 12' long. It passes through a series of blocks so that when the board is down it uses quite a bit more line than you might think. In your circumstance I would not use less than 12'. Don't overlook tying the bitter end of the new line inside the boat so that you don't pull the whole line through.

Use the same thickness of line as is currently installed.

Given that you must pass through a series of blocks the join between the lines should be strong and flexible.

If anything goes wrong - such as the line separating, you will want to have a backup plan to get the boat on its trailer while the board is down. Driving the boat onto the trailer should result in the board being lifted automatically by the keel roller but I would want to test this on your rig before committing to removing the line.

Graham Stewart
gstewart8 at cogeco.ca