[Rhodes22-list] R22 capsize in Force 10

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 7 15:06:16 EST 2020

My issue just arrived.  (They're $6 on Ebay right now).   Wow.

A few thoughts from my lessor experiences, particularly an unexpected squall
where I was caught in a long gust over 50 MPH (not knots) per NOAA.   I
quickly reefed the jib, but the main was still about half at the time.   I
tend to be conservative with the main, since its harder to reef quickly.
It was only half out as I watched the clouds and headed to the marina.   Of
course I was on the lee shore in seconds.   Maybe because it was April and
the water was cold, or maybe because of my dinghy roots, I wasn't willing to
crawl off the windward rail to hang over the cold water and try to furl the
main.   Nor did I dare release the tiller long enough to try.  I luffed like
crazy while maintaining just enough windward angle to avoid leeway putting
me in the trees, I slowly crawled along a quarter mile of shore, trying to
get to a wider part of the lake.    I'm not sure how many minutes of peak
terror I enjoyed before the wind dropped down to 30-40 mph, allowing me to
gain enough seaway to drop the sail, start the outboard and get over the
shakes.   I used the outboard just to hold stationary for several minutes,
until I gradually began to build distance.   Half an hour later I was back
to sailing, trying to find my hat.

My mistake wasn't respecting the storm clouds enough.  The direction of wind
on water made me think they would clear me, plus they weren't from the usual
direction.  Since it wasn't even 60 degrees I didn't think a squall would
pack the energy of a summertime pop up storm.   I always  keep a life jacket
hooked to the black tabs that hold the seat cushions (which were still in
the V berth).  I was able to put it on quickly without releasing the tiller.
I didn't have a wetsuit or proper gear, just a hoodie.   Since I was
reservoir sailing there was no reason to set lifelines.   I did have dry
clothes in the cabin, but not in a waterproof bag. If swamped, they would
have been useless.  The Sailmaster had a hanked on jib which was dropped as
I understand the story.   He wouldn't have been able to drop it if single
handing.   The lost Rhodes had problem with its reefed jib lifting up?   In
my case I was able to reef the jib but could not make it to the foredeck
alone to add a gasket.   I've had a furled jib on another boat partially
unwind above the sheets from a gale.   That makes the boat impossible to
control.   (That's another story, but a Buccaneer 18 can in fact foil).   I
don't recall if I put the companionway door in, I often do if in doubt, just
to keep rain out.  I don't trust the poptop to remain in place if rolled.

Regarding the outboard:   I think James Papa of Small Craft Advisor is
mostly right    Another squall of lessor wind but rain demonstrated that.  I
was again just reservoir sailing so the waves were insignificant.   The
blinding spray of wind driven rain plus foam nearly choked the carb several
times.    This weakness is not unique to the Rhodes.   Many larger cruisers
have replaced broken inboards with transom hung outboards for cost,
seriously diminishing  their seaworthiness.   The author doesn't seem aware
of the fuel efficiency of the modern 4 cycle.   It may cavitate, it may push
air, it may choke on foam.  It may die just because of ethanol.   It won't
run out of gas anytime soon.

I'm unsure what affect the flaired sides have in a heavy wind, I think there
is some drawback.  I forget the term, but there is a circumstance in large
ship design where overhang can catch a wave and decrease stability.  This is
a problem for giant waves hitting the corners of large container ships,
since they are designed to maximize the cargo capacity while still
maintaining some prismatic coefficient for fuel efficiency.   In conditions
I've been out in the Rhodes nicely floats up the side of a wave.  I'm sure
there are some circumstances where it won't.  The flair does stiffen the
hull and provide a dry ride in normal conditions.

The Rhodes is a trailer sailor.   Its nicely appointed, but I don't know the
EU would give it a class C rating.      I often sail alone.   Exceptions are
usually passengers rather then experienced crew.  Early and late season I'm
often the only boat visible, so I try to be conservative and self reliant.
I think a lot about these kinds of stories.   Thanks for the thread.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole
S/V Lark