[Rhodes22-list] Chainplate failure

stan stan at generalboats.com
Mon Mar 30 10:10:06 EDT 2020

With G. Stewart and Thomas both members of ROC, I have to step into this
one.  Graham's word is gospel - if both parties are talking about the
same issue.  However that is not the case in this case.  Thomas's issue
is with his upper shroud chain plates; they are bolted through both the
hull and deck laminations where they overlap.  In our historical
knowledge they have never failed, nor has Thomas's. His upper shroud
chain plate has been subjected to a horrific force that has caused it to
pivot slightly aft resulting in gel coat damage while his boat remains
safely sailable as is.

Graham is talking about the 4 lower shroud chain plates.  (The jobs of
the lower shrouds are to prevent mast pumping and to make the GB cross
over mast hoist system work.)  If Graham's 45 year old Rhodes also has
its upper shroud chain plates connected to the cabin trunk roof, I am
too young to remember that ever being done.  It must have been some
in-between owner along the way trying to improve on Phil Rhodes design.

stan