[Rhodes22-list] Swinging at anchor?

Carl Geisser cgeisser12345 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 09:07:26 EDT 2020

I have used the bow eye for anchoring if the weather is bad or strong tides
in the area we are in, although mine pulled out, not because of original
construction,  but somebody put regular steel nuts on the inside, and they
rusted through. I plan on replacing it this year.
I like the painter idea, as hanging upside down to thread rode through eye
is no fun, even less if choppy.
We have used many different configurations to anchor, once even tried 3
different anchors, trying to hold straight into th he waves, which were
broadside to the wind, something weird about the lagoon or tide, not sure .
It didn't work though, because the waves changed direction 2 hours later,
one of the rolliest nights spent at anchor.
Once used 3 anchors to hold in strong tide with 20-30 knot winds going with
the tides, was very nervous and got up to look at lines every 2 hours. Only
one anchor dragged (small dingy anchor) and we did not get blown out into
the gulf stream, so was all good.
We used the storm jib a couple times for a staysail, a little big, but it
worked.(we always called it the anchor sail, not knowing the proper term)
If the weather is calm, we mostly use the bow cleat, just easier and
quicker.