[Rhodes22-list] Thanks for the welcome - Replacing the IMF control line on an '86 - Short bio

Larry Gioia lgioia at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 16:56:32 EDT 2020

Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming - seems like a great group.
The Sea Scouts that I bought my '86 R22 from replaced the control line on the inner-furling mast assembly with a line that's too thick (gets caught up in the mechanism as it gets to the 2nd winding) and too short (too short to thread through the boom as it should).  Does anyone have experience with replacing it?  I'm referring to the line that wraps around the bottom of the mast, you pull on it to furl the mainsail in.  I'm hoping not to have to take down the mast to do it since the boat is in the water at a dock.  it looks like it goes through a hole in the mast near the bottom with a stopper knot to hold it.
Short bio:  Merchant Marine to Wall Street IT.  I'm a '79 Marine Engineering grad from SUNY Maritime College in the Bronx - sailed with Exxon on oil tankers for 5 years that went East Coast, Gulf Coast, Panama Canal, California, Alaska.  Went to Columbia for an MBA, and worked in Wall St. Technology.  The firm I worked for got bought so I now run a small company with a half-dozen people that provides mortgage-bond data to investment firms, but my real fun is volunteering on the American Victory, a 1944 Victory ship in Tampa. http://www.americanvictory.org   You'll find me in the engine room there at times - that's my favorite place.  I'm not a racing type sailor, more of a lazy afternoon sailor.  Not political, I prefer watching Hallmark movies.
Thanks!
Larry