[Rhodes22-list] Emergency diamondboard help...at boatyard for only a little while longer

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun May 24 19:17:32 EDT 2020

Hi Olivier,

The laminate is not standard R22 construction.

At one point we were going to do something to the board, I forget what,
maybe replace the pennant or get rid of the pully in the raising system
and had ordered a new gasket from Stan. When we got it apart and
discovered the laminate, we abandoned the project. We asked Stan about
it and via email he basically shrugged his shoulders and said something
to the effect that "that wasn't our repair." It wasn't leaking, we found
another way to do what we were going to do and forgot about it. In fact
I didn't realize I still had the exchange with Stan in an old email
program until now.

After a bit of back and forth on a photo, Stan's exact words on the
subject from 2003 were:

"So what I am seeing is a fiberglass "washer" between the top lip of the
trunk and
neoprene gasket.  The question then is was there any leakage between the
fiberglass
gasket and the cb trunk lip?  If no then I would leave it in place and
just use a
jib saw to cut on opening in it to match the opening in the cb trunk -
it should
cut easily since it is probably not very thick  If on the other hand
there was
leakage between this element and the cb trunk cap I would do whatever is
necessary
to pull it off and throw it away and sand smooth the top of the trunk lip to
receive the neoprene gasket."

As I noted above, it wasn't leaking so my recollection is we decided not
to mess with it.

Sorry this isn't more help.

Mary Lou