[Rhodes22-list] Whisker Pole Rigging - simple suggestions for gentle-breeze late afternoons?

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue May 26 21:34:04 EDT 2020

Larry,

I don’t know if you’ve been on the list long enough to remember Rummy, a long-time list member and Rhodes sailer and a much beloved character. I think it is safe to say that he was in the KISS school of sailing (much like Stan in that regard I suppose).  In past discussions of whisker poles, I recall that he was an advocate of using an extendable boat hook.  I’m a bit fuzzy on the details, but I think the tip was put through the grommet at the clew of the jib, and the handle was jammed against the grab rail and the forward lower shroud.

I can see how something like this might work, right up until the moment when it stops working.  But, if you’re careful, and wouldn’t be too upset by suddenly turning a boat hook into scrap metal, this could be a solution.

—Peter