[Rhodes22-list] outboard shifter lever extension

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sat May 30 17:20:57 EDT 2020

Fortunately, I have a slip this year so it is a lot easier to get on the
water.  I've found that maneuvering into a slip requires more precision than
coming up to the T-dock which was I was used to last year.  On the T-dock
you could often find a place to come up into the wind.  As I mentioned in a
prior post, my wife is also learning how to skipper as well.  Reaching back
down to shift between forward / neutral / reverse required turning a round
to locate and reach the gear shift lever on the outboard.  Some brief
searching on "da list" showed that others have found this a challenge.
Adding cockpit controls for the outboard is not cheap, so my work around was
to add an extension to the shift lever.  I used a 1/2" x 1" piece cut to
length.  I can't recall the exact length but if any one else wants to do
this they should probably measure on their boat anyway based on their
outboard to make sure the lever stays under stern rail when raising the
motor.  I attached it with a couple of stainless steel hose clamps.  I
painted the lever and added some white electric tape as a handle.  A simple,
cheap (and less than elegant) but functional solution.

I wouldn't be surprised if others have already done this, but I'm just
sharing in case others might find this helpful.  Now I don't have to turn
around and bend down to operate the shifter lever.

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/SLE01.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/SLE02.jpg>