[Rhodes22-list] outboard shifter lever extension

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sun May 31 09:57:02 EDT 2020

Bob:

Here are some photos of the shift extension and throttle extensions that I use. Please excuse the mess as my motor is still in the garage. The throttle extension is a purchased item. With these items in place I can sit or stand facing forward while being able to steer, control speed and shift gears. Another piece of dowel in the handle end makes the tube air tight so that it floats - just in case you absentmindedly throw the damned thing overboard - as I have done twice now.

The tube is 3/4" inside diameter schedule 40 PVC plastic conduit. I made the hinge first out of an old broom stick that was 7/8" diameter and then pushed the hinge into the tubes after heating the tube with a heat gun. It makes a very tight fit but still needs a brad nail to secure the tube to the dowel.

I painted the hinge grey so that it would look less like a chunk of broomstick stuck into the end of a plastic tube.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario