[Rhodes22-list] Deploying anchor from cockpit

JeffSmith jeffsmithphoto at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 12:05:34 EST 2020

According to <https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF>.

"Do not anchor from the stern!!
Anchoring by the stern has	caused many boats –	small boats especially	– to
capsize and	sink .  The	reason	is that the	transom is	usually squared	off
and has less	freeboard	than	the bow.	In addition, the	stern
may	be carrying the	added weight of	a motor, fuel tank, or gear	brought
on board .	  In a strong current,	the force of the	water can pull the stern
under. Anchoring at the stern also makes the boat vulnerable to
swamping	by wave action."

Deploying the anchor from the cockpit and and leading the rhode forward to
the bow is not "anchoring from the stern" in MHO.  A USCG member who cites a
boater for this is probably either a martinet or trying to make his ticket
quota.

While onboard I have often turned my various boats around on my mooring or
anchors to get more breeze in the cockpit and cabin - or to add shade to the
cockpit. Never had a problem or a ticket.

-----
Jeff Smith
2009 R22 #101 RADIANT
Atlantic Highlands Municpal Harbor