[Rhodes22-list] 3 Horsepower Electric Outboard. 50hp Electric Elco vs 115hp gas Yahama

Larry Gioia lgioia at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 17:04:57 EST 2020

 I was looking into getting a 50hp Elco electric outboard for a new 22' pontoon boat here in Tampa, I'd seen one on a pontoon at Lake George.  Here's what I found: Cost: Elco: The motor is $9k, but the 4 Lithium Ion batteries, charger, connector, and monitor are $19k (batteries alone are $16k) so $28k total, and the combination on a 22' pontoon has a top speed of 8 knots.   115hp Yamaha 4 stroke: $11k .  Top speed probably 25+ knots, though we won't be going that fast. Weight is pretty similar:Elco:  Motor: 190 lbs,  4 Lithium batteries @ 85lbs each = 340 lbs   Total: 530 lbs       - They do offer lead-acid batteries but you need 8 with a total weight of 1,144 lbs. Pretty sure that'd sink the boat.
  115hp Yamaha:  377 lbs plus 20 gals gas @ 6.5 lbs/gal (130 lbs) plus 50lb battery  Total: 557 lbs  If usage was high Electric charging cost vs cost of gasoline would be good to look at, but on this small-ish lake and considering our 60+ ages I don't see a lot of fast usage. Oh well, I went with the 115hp Yamaha.  The Elco probably makes sense on a lake that doesn't allow gas engines, I understand that someplace in Sweden just ordered 50 of them.  Check out http://www.elcomotoryachts.com   Larry
 '86 R22 - Keystone Lake, Tampa'14 R22 - Lake George, NY