[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Buyer's checklist?

John Keyser retro53 at msn.com
Sun Nov 22 17:31:57 EST 2020

Hi Michael,

Graham and the others make a lot of great points both about the Rhodes and old boats in general, so I'm not going to elaborate on shopping for a used boat . I've only had my Rhodes for three years but have had half a dozen other sailboats of various sizes and vintages over the years. All had their pluses and minuses. That being said, I think it's worthwhile to point out to you what I think are some of the best features of a Rhodes.

  1.  The IMF mainsail. This feature has totally spoiled me. No more clambering around on a slippery cabin top wrestling with a flapping mainsail. Just turn into the wind more or less and furl the sail from the cockpit by pulling a line.
  2.  The pop top is a great feature in a boat this size. In a normal 22-footer, you would have to stoop to make your way around inside the cabin. With the pop top, when it's raised it basically turns the main cabin an extension of the cockpit, enabling you and your crew to easily move around in what has become a pretty large space.
  3.  The multi-position IMF system which has two positions. When adjusted to the higher position, it enables the pop top to be raised, as well as providing space to erect a standing-room Bimini to shade the cockpit. When adjusted to it's lower position, the pop-top and Bimini cannot be raised, but is very useful for sailing in higher wind conditions.
  4.  I did add lifelines to my boat. I understand that some Rhodies are not in favor of them, but I sure am glad they are there when the little ones are on board. I have not had any issues with them interfering with the sails or lines.

Good luck with your search.

John Keyser
"Deci-Belle"
1980 R-22