[Rhodes22-list] 175 vs 130 Genoa

Lee lvjkuhn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 13:16:40 EST 2020

Michael,

If you search the archives you'll find that I've said that if I had to do it
over I would get the 175 again, and I've also said the 130 is smarter
because I rarely used the fully unfurled 175; so basically I don't know.

I don't know of any boat whose Genoa is twice the size of their main.

You can furl the 175 down to any size you wish but the rolled up Genoa on
your forestay probably has some minor negative effect on your speed.

The smaller the sail the easier it is to handle.

I found that you need about a 3 knot wind to inflate the 175 on a reach and
after a 5 knot wind you should reef it for better speed.

I've tacked without getting the 175 stuck many times but found it's easier
to furl it in a little before the tack and unfurl it again after the tack.
It ain't much effort and I'm a very lazy sailor.

The 175 is a thing of beauty when completely unfurled.

With a whisker pole the 175 helps with downwind performance.

With the 175 completely unfurled a small gust of wind will send you into a
heel that will terrify your guests on board.

This time around I'm asking Stan for the 130 but I'm sure there will be
times when I'll miss the 175.

Lee
Still Boatless
Claytor Lake, VA