[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Buyer's checklist?

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 26 17:17:24 EST 2020

I think the answer depends on intended use and balance of maintenance vs
sailing time.  I respect Graham's Phoenix Project.   I wanted to optimize my
limited time for sailing, not learning the skills of a boatwright beyond
basic self reliance.  I paid a premium for a Stan refit.    Since I will
likely keep sailing this boat into old age, I requested a boat new enough to
avoid core wood and retrofitted with LED lights.

LARK has the usual options.   CDI furler, IMF and traveler are adequate for
most conditions, I'm still trying to design a strong enough vang.  The grab
rails as designed are in all the right places.  I find the bimini is mostly
used when my lady joins me on a calmish day, I bought it at her request.
It was also useful this summer when I did a couple zoom meetings at anchor.
It does make foredeck access more difficult. Cockpit cushions are also
primarily used when the GF is around, or for group get togethers.     If I
was alone I could do without.   Cushions are surprisingly expensive to have
custom made, if later desired.   Like Rick said, a manual motor mount (mine
is the block and tackle vertical design) is generally repairable on the
water.    Duel cabin top hatches are a valuable for using the head when
other boats are in view and for ventilation at anchor.   Add a low amp 12 v
portable fan.

Lee's list specifies four horn cleats for docking.    That would be a
better.   LARK came with a center foredeck cleat and chocks on either side
of the bow.   The center cleat still requires a bridle for the anchor, due
to the chocks and forestay in the way.   It also can snag the jib sheet,
especially in light wind where the sheets drag the deck slowly during a
tack.   I consider the boarding ladder an essential safety feature as well
as a way to cool down in a calm.

My primary uses are pretty much what I predicted pre purchase.   I wanted a
convenient slip stored solo day sailor that wouldn't force me to be picky
about weather.   Days off require planning beyond the weather forecast
range.    The unexpected fringe benefit was short after work twilight sails,
a bonus of IMF.    I also find the occasional overnight at anchor quite
charming.   Agreeing with Jeff, captains' chairs make this boat very
relaxing after a stressful day.

LARK's other use is the occasional coastal or protected cruise.   I knew it
would be hard to convince a woman to join me without a head.   The supplied
non gimbaled camp stove is adequate for cooking in a marina when local
restaurants aren't available, or at a calm anchorage.    The pop top tent is
recommended for couples overnighting, I don't always bother alone in cool
weather.    Since coastal sailing is a secondary use, I prefer Jack Lines
and a harness to life lines.   I didn't bother with the center cockpit
cushion.   So far I haven't bothered with a self steering system.

Since I like almost all the options, I hope an explanation of when I find
them useful helps.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole