[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Buyer's checklist?

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 27 20:41:05 EST 2020

Jeff

Thanks for the tip on the vang,    That was my next plan but I was unsure
what spec wire to order, the disadvantage of ignorance and no chandlery
within miles.   I bought a Harken small boat vang that is similar to 1976
factory equipment on my Bucc 18 but rated for boats 22-28’.   I tried custom
strapping.    As you said, the eyes weren’t strong enough.

Your sidedeck cleat was a good idea, how did you mount it?   The prevailing
wind puts me on the lee of a double wide finger, making it hard to avoid
blowing into the neighbor boat.     I call it practice for tricky dockings
in a guest slip with an audience, and safer then being docked downwind of a
pontoon.     I cheated and added an midship cleat on the state dock for a
forward spring, but can use it with a line to the jib car when casting off
alone.   It minimizes leeway so I can back out fast enough to keep my bow
out of the compac’s outboard.   Being a coward, I was happier drilling holes
in the state dock then my boat.

The dropped boom still clears your face in the captain’s chairs.    I’ve
snagged a life jacket on the outhaul cleats while ducking during a gybe,
forgetting my back was a couple inches taller.     Like a dinghy, concussion
is possible.    If you haven’t seen this poor guy”s clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6KVqLg_uY
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6KVqLg_uY>

-----
Alex Cole