[Rhodes22-list] using a tablet for navigation

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Oct 10 16:47:03 EDT 2020

When we had the Rhodes, we were mostly paper chart people with a
handheld GPS for confirmation. Had Navionics been available, we probably
would have used it for cruise and course planning, entering unfamiliar
harbors etc. I think we could have seen it in the shade of the bimini
but would have mostly kept it in the cabin. As I write this, it occurs
to me that we could have mounted it on a RAM mount that swung into view
in the companionway.

Now that we've gone over to the dark side and become powerboaters,
Navionics on a Samsung tablet is our GPS and chartplotter. We find it
amazingly accurate and the addition of the Active Captain data is
helpful. I believe my initial purchase was $49 but then it was $25 a
year for a couple of years to keep the subscription. The last two years
it has been $15 a year. When we did the ICW from Oriental, NC to Rock
Hall MD, when we first bought the powerboat, this was our primary
navigation.

Mary Lou
ex Rhodes 22
Now Rosborough RF-246  Tara