[Rhodes22-list] Website version 2.1

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Thu Oct 15 15:58:57 EDT 2020

So, version 1.0 is what you’ll find at rhodes22.org <http://rhodes22.org/> right now.  Version 2.0 was my first attempt at a new website a few weeks ago.  I developed this with the desktop in mind, giving little consideration to how it would function on the smaller screens of tablets and phones.  It quickly became apparent that this approach was a big mistake.  So, I went back to the drawing board, and have now completed initial development of version 2.1.  As with v2.0, I’ve put the new site up at http://sunnybeeches.com/rhodes22/ <http://sunnybeeches.com/rhodes22/> for review.

Very little of the actual content of the site has changed between versions 2.0 and 2.1.  It’s all about format and responsiveness to different screen sizes.

I needed help to pull this off, so the first thing I did was to look for a website development framework that would do much of the heavy lifting.  After a bit of research, I decided to use the W3.CSS framework.  It has a reputation of being able to do the job, while being relatively easy to learn.  Also, it’s entirely free, and requires no server-side installation other than a text .css file.

I have tested the new website on my iPad and iPhone as well as Safari and Firefox on my Mac desktop.  I will admit that there are some pages that don’t really look all that great on my phone, but it is usable. Others will have to have a look with other operating systems, devices, and browser, and report on their experiences.

Thanks for your patience during this process.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)