[Rhodes22-list] Bluetooth depth finder for Navionics

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 20:30:53 EDT 2020

Hi Allyn, I think you could go without pairing the depth sounder to the
iPad since it sounds like you don't have a need to actually draw custom
charts using Navionics.  I was surprised to see that Navionics had data on
our tiny Lake Manawa.  I take that as an indication that they have data for
pretty much anywhere else in the U.S. that I might sail.

A few other notes regarding tablets: manufacturers of the GPS receivers
claim that using a separate purpose-built GPS receiver (rather than relying
on one built into a tablet) will give better accuracy.  You will also have
less drain on the tablet battery during use, but you'll need to charge the
GPS receiver in addition to the tablet at the end of the day.  There seem
to be fiercely divided camps regarding the fans of the tablet/smartphone +
app crowd vs. fans of the dedicated chartplotter.  It seems that each have
pros and cons.  As others have mentioned, tablets and phones can be hard to
view in the light.  You probably don't want to leave a tablet in the sun
anyway since they can overheat and shutdown as a safety mechanism.  There
are some great options such as LifeProof and Otterbox for cases to protect
against water and shocks.

Regarding the swing out mount, I came across this youtube video
demonstrating a DIY approach: https://youtu.be/YVB5bqiJUCI

The RAM mounts that Peter mentioned seem to be popular.  Here are a couple
links to other options, but I don't know if they would be up to the
"dynamic equilibrium" (as Roger would say) conditions of a sailboat on an
exciting day:
https://www.amazon.com/Bentley-Mounts-Universal-Tablet-Mount/dp/B010MGIWR4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWR998F/

I am curious to see how your mount setup comes together.  Good luck!

Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr