[Rhodes22-list] Leech and foot line adjustment

Rick Lange sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 15:02:40 EDT 2020

Hi Mike,

I respectfully take issue with your suggestion to set the genoa sail before
the main.

My training to sail a cutter rig was to first set the inner or staysail
first, then the outer or yankee sail.  The logic is that the accelerated
airflow over the staysail lifting surface is the greater force exerting
more influence on the overlapping yankee than the other way around.

Especially with the 175 genny on the R22, the main will have considerable
influence on the curvature of the overlapping genny.  So I always *first
set the main*, get it to pull as hard as I can per the knot meter, then set
the genny leach curvature to match the main leach curvature.

[image: RevSail2019a.jpg]

Regards,

Rick Lange