[Rhodes22-list] Headsail compatability

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Oct 20 12:19:06 EDT 2020

David,

I changed the OEM furler to a Harken Unit 0.  This roller furler has upper and lower swivels so that the genoa can make effective use of a foam luff pad for better furled sail shape over a wider dynamic range.  The luff foil is made by joining several extruded aluminum alloy sections vs one piece.  I like this system because damaged sections can be replaced.  Harken makes extensive use of Torlon ball bearings on both the upper and lower swivels.  Even after 30 seasons of use, my furler still spins as easily as a bicycle wheel.  It has never malfunctioned even once in all those years.

If you are going to go to the trouble and expense of upgrading your roller furler, get a quality unit.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone