[Rhodes22-list] CDI Furler

Joe Dempsey joedempsey at hughes.net
Wed Oct 28 16:53:45 EDT 2020

My search of the Archives did not offer any information regarding maintenance
or servicing of the CDI furling system. The manual "CDI Flexible Furler 2
Installation/Operating Instructions", offers no troubleshooting details,
although it provides a system diagram and parts list. I'm sharing what I've
learned and observed after having fought my genoa furler for since I
purchased "Respite" in 2017, it finally refused to rotate and furl. It had
always been difficult to unfurl and furl the genoa, especially the latter.
I've spent more time on the foredeck than in the cockpit trying to furl the
jib!

We pulled the pin on the chain plate (this is easily done on the Rhodes by
releasing the back stays allowing enough slack in the forestay, although
more clearance beneath the furling drum would be nice!) and opened up the
GBI furler. We found that the main bearing had seized within the cup. (See
photos of Cup). The main bearing is described in the CDI manual as HDPE
plastic (This is the standard bearing) or Ball Bearing, torian (?) balls.
That rotate within the Stainless Steel Cup. I was unsure which one I had
until I got the bearing home and was able to open it up and separate the
bearing from the cup. It turns out I have the ball bearings. My R-22
"Respite" is a 1989 that was re-cycled by GBI in 2005. I'm pretty certain
that the furler was installed at that time because the manual is dated 2004.
Looking at the bearing, it is clear that no maintenance "cleaning" was ever
performed. (See photos of bearing) The manual recommends occasional rinsing
with fresh water. Opening the bearing is suggested only if the bearing is
hard to turn. In my case it wouldn't turn at all. Also I found that the hole
in the top of the cup that the turnbuckle rides through had worn so that it
was no longer centered. (You can see this in one of the photos.) The bottom
view of the bearing shows the center hole and the two screw holes that
secure the Anti-rotation strap (or bale) to the bearing to the drum
Stainless Cup.  There is also a Thrust Washer that the fits between the Main
Bearing and the Furling Drum. I contacted CDI (they are now located in
Winnepeg, Manitoba, contact info below) I spoke with Joel Grouette who was
most helpful. Initially I had ordered the Stainless Cup that covers the
furling drum because it was bent, thinking that was the cause, but once we
had the bearing out we found that we also need a new bearing, which I also
ordered from CDI. Once I have furler operating again, I will file an update.

If you are having difficulty with your furling system, inspect and clean
your main bearing. Although it can be done with the mast up, it would be
easier with the mast down.

I hope this information and my subsequent follow up will provide owners with
information that will enable them to enjoy their Rhodes 22.

Contact Information for CDI:

Cruising Design International
1036 Waverley St. Winnipeg MB
844-379-2407  |   www.sailcdi.com