[Rhodes22-list] Converting Electric Winch Motor Lift to a Manual System

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 09:14:19 EDT 2020

I’ve had my boat a little over a year now and as as I’ve mentioned before,
I’ve only been out on her 4 times, all last year. I’m in the process of
moving her from the Cape Fear River near Wilmington NC to a mooring at Lake
Waccamaw NC. As part of the move she’s been in my driveway for the last
couple of months while I completed numerous projects on her. One of my
projects was converting the electric winch motor lift to a manual system.
>From the day I bought her, I’ve had concerns about the electric winch which
operates the motor lift. Rated at 2500 lbs pull, I’ve never liked the
creaking and popping noises I hear the transom make when the motor gets
toward the top of its travel and starts to tilt my 106 lbs Mercury 9.9. I
was also concerned about not being able to get the motor down if the winch
failed while the motor was up. So I just completed disconnected the winch
and going to a manual lift system. I got the idea from an old post by a
former Rhodie named Jay Curry who did this conversion to his R22. My
conversion differs from his in that the motor still tilts when it gets
toward the top of its travel. With four double blocks and a 9/1 ratio, I
thought I would be looking at maybe a 15-20 pound pull on the line to raise
the motor. I’m guessing it’s closer to 30-35 pounds pull and then increasing
as the motor hits the upper stops and starts to  tilt. I guess the pull is
higher than I expected due to the friction of the line through all the
blocks plus the friction of the motor mount sliding in the tracks.
My conversion did involve adding some HDPE components so I could move the
top SS tube previously used by the winch strap , adding a jam cleat and
changing the position of the upper stops in the metal channels of the lift.
I’ll attach a few photos.

George Morgan
S/V Knotty Lady 1986

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/2CC9C2A3-357F-4E90-8518-3E5398050BCC.jpeg>