[Rhodes22-list] Converting Electric Winch Motor Lift to a Manual System

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sat Sep 5 21:16:21 EDT 2020

Chris,

Well, of course you are correct, at some point the manual outboard motor lift was the way GBI configured new and recycled boats.  Then at some point things shifted to the electric lift.  Maybe the change happened because 2-cycle outboards went away and were replaced by heavier 4-cycle outboards.  Maybe Stan decided that he wasn’t satisfied with the performance of the manual lift.  I’ve always thought that the change seemed out of character, since it’s widely reported that Stan prefers that things be kept simple on the Rhodes 22 (depth finders are unnecessary, etc).

In any event, some of us who have found themselves with Rhodes 22’s with electric motor lifts have decided that manual lifts would be preferable.  We’re not starting from scratch, we’re starting with the electric lift set-up, and then trying to modify it without having to change things too drastically.  The result will perhaps not be as good as what the GBI manual lift once was, but then again if the GBI manual lift was so great, why did Stan abandon it?

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)