[Rhodes22-list] Converting Electric Winch Motor Lift to a Manual System

mail.sunnybeeches.com peter at sunnybeeches.com
Mon Sep 7 22:04:53 EDT 2020

Hopefully, some pictures...

Oh, and I forgot to mention the testing.

I moved the block I usually attach to the stern railing up onto the ’solar arch’ tubing.  I extended the lifting line and attached a 5 gallon bucket to the end.  I gradually filled the 5 gallon bucket with water.  When the bucket was full, it still wasn’t heavy enough to lift the outboard.  A 5 gallon bucket full of water weights about 42 lbs.  Adding a finger-tip’s pressure to the bucket at this point was enough to start the outboard up the track.  Let’s call that 45 lbs.  The amount of force required increases slightly as the outboard rises, until it gets very close to the top.  Then, quite a bit more pull is needed to get the motor to lift and tilt into a fully up-raised position. Since my bucket was already full, I didn’t have any way to measure the pull required.

But, I still prefer the manual lift to the powered one.

—Peter