[Rhodes22-list] Wheel and stern squat

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Wed Sep 9 10:34:18 EDT 2020

Since I seem to be one of the only (THE only?) R22 with a wheel, here's
another picture. The boat actually cam with two wheels, and I switched to
the bigger one last week. It's much better for me because I don't have to
lean down to hold the wheel, and I can easily reach it from the captain's
chairs. Unlike the one that was installed on the boat when I got it, this
one is wrapped with something like leather (elk skin maybe?) and two sides
fold in if you want a little more room at anchor.

That reminds me of another question: as nice as the captain's chairs are,
do you find that they tend to push the boat down at the stern even when not
motoring? I'm inclined to remove the wheel anyway, but I'm thinking with a
tiller extension I could sit a little more forward in the cockpit to
balance the weight a bit more fore and aft. What are your
thoughts/experiences?

Thanks,
Mark

--