[Rhodes22-list] Wheel and stern squat

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 11:27:21 EDT 2020

Thanks for sharing the photo since it's interesting to see the creative
modifications including the mainsheet running further forward.  Regarding
the seating discussion, I don't have the captain chairs but I've found that
it's comfortable to sit on the coaming and rest my back against the stern
rail.  That gives a good view since you can more easily see over the
cabin.  It also helps flatten the boat when sitting on the windward coaming
when the wind kicks up.  I also often alternate between sitting and
standing while sailing since I'm short enough to stand under the boom when
it's on the higher setting.

My boat appears also to be a bit stern heavy so sometimes a bit of water
would come back up through the cockpit drain when I have more than me and
another person in the cockpit.  Last fall I installed an inline check valve
which has addressed that issue but has the risk of reduced draining
capacity.  More on that at the link below:
http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/installation-of-inline-check-valve-for-cockpit-drain-td56504.html#a56508

My boat will become a bit less stern heavy with the addition of a bow
roller that I plan on tackling this fall.  More updates to come on that
later.

Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr