[Rhodes22-list] Survey

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Fri Sep 11 10:06:01 EDT 2020

Ric:

HP = 7.5 hp Johnson 1981
Shaft = 25"
Motor mount = standards manual motor mount - probably original.

Picture attached from the days of beginning restoration when the boat was very unhappy with me.

Note:  This very simple arrangement appeals to me all the more as I read the seemingly endless posts from those with problems with their motor lift systems. 7.5 Hp seems quite adequate to me except dead  up wind in very high winds. It is also a moderate weight compared to 10 hp 4 stroke motors. I just tilt my motor when sailing and only raise it if I am heeling severely or for long sails. Even so, raising it is not particularly difficult with my  spring loaded motor mount. I am not convinced that the complexity, weight and, frankly, ugliness of the power lift system offsets any advantages it offers. I might feel differently if I actually had the rig to test or needed a much heavier motor.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario