[Rhodes22-list] High Adventure Pictured Rocks Sea Kayaking Trip

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Sep 12 10:05:07 EDT 2020

Hi Tom,

Originally, the kayak towing harness for S/V Dynamic Equilibrium was to facilitate a Sailing/Kayaking High Adventure Trip wherein we were going circumnavigate Isle Royale in western Lake Superior.  This trip was going to be in the summer of 2002 using S/V Dynamic Equilibrium as a mother ship.  Unfortunately, 9/11 happened and the US economy went into a deep recession.  I got laid off in the spring of 2002 and the trip had to be postponed.  Between going back to school to get another degree in mechanical engineering, searching for a new job, and the boys going off to college and starting their own careers; the Isle Royale trip never happened.  Since then, we have started including my brother-in-law, Ken, in our High Adventure trips.  There is a story in the R-22 archives about a voyage to Garden Island in northern Lake Michigan aboard S/V Dynamic Equilibrium.  It was Ken’s 1st blue water sailing experience and we kind of scared him on the return trip.  I haven’t suggested any sailing High Adventure Trips since then.

The word around the campfire on the Pictured Rocks High Adventure Trip was everyone was interested in going back to the Apostle Islands in western Lake Superior by sea kayak in the summer of 2021.  We only visited 4 islands out of 22 in the archipelago the last time we were there.  I may explore how Ken would feel about using S/V Dynamic Equilibrium as a mother ship for the kayaks.  We would definitely be able to cover more water.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone