[Rhodes22-list] sailing in Grand Traverse Bay in Michigan

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 19:05:12 EDT 2020

My wife and I had sailing plans out west, but that has been rescheduled due
to the wildfires and resulting air quality.  I really feel bad for
everyone affected by that on top of everything else delivered by this crazy
year of 2020.

We swiftly changed plans and will be chartering a sailboat out of Traverse
City, Michigan
later this month.  We're actually going to be up there again in the middle
of next summer.  We have some family nearby that will be joining us on
board for part of the trip.  For this round we plan on spending most of the
time within Grand Traverse Bay and going as far North as Charlevoix or
possibly Harbor Point in Little Traverse Bay.  Next summer we would like to
make it over to Beaver Island if weather permits.

For the first day, we're going to hire a captain and practice docking and
other boat handling since this will be a bigger boat for us.  We had to go
with what was available on short notice but end of season discounts help.
It has IMF so it will be interesting to try that on a bigger boat.

Tentative plan:
Thursday  9/24 1 Captain - spend the night at Elmwood Marina in Traverse
City
Friday    9/25 2 Power Island & Sutton's Bay
Saturday  9/26 3 Northport / Old Mission Bay
Sunday    9/27 4 Charleviox / Harbor Point in Little Traverse Bay
Monday    9/28 5 Omena Bay / Ingalls Bay
Tuesday   9/29 6 Elk Rapids / Old Mission
Wednesday 9/30 7 Return to Traverse City

Would anyone on the list happen to be familiar with the area and have any
recommendations?

Thanks,
Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr